"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge its rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant treasures." Proverbs 24:3

"Gone With the Tide"




We spent the 4th of July weekend at the coast which gave me an opportunity to do one of my favorite things:  running on the beach!  The day was perfectly sunny and cool at the same time.  It was low tide and the sand was still wet which made it the perfect surface for shoe prints.  There were still a few pools of water that I had to jump over and weave through, but for the most part you would never guess that the area I ran on was covered by the ocean only minutes before.  I marveled at how quickly the tide pulled away from the shore and took everything with it.  Only a dead starfish, some driftwood, and a few broken shells remained as evidence of the receding waves.  

As I ran, my mind went to this verse:  "...that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives"  (Hebrews 2:14, 15).  His death completely nullifies the fear of death that keeps us in captivity.  As we allow His power to work in our lives, only a few old and decaying signs are left of the sin that once consumed us.  His sacrifice removes any reason to hide who we truly are, because we are free.  All the things that we feared are swept away by the powerful tide of His cleansing blood.  

Whether you are being held by strong addictions, or struggle with everyday shortcomings, I hope these words help you to know that the truth of Christ's power overcomes all that enslaves us. 

Here are the words:
Gone with the tide, shackles open wide, the fear of death that kept me in chains has died.
Gone with the wind, He wiped away my sin.  He ended His life so that my life would never end.

Now I can let go, of the things that demanded so much of me.
And I don't have to hide, I can be who I'm meant to be.

And I can take off this mask that I've worn for all these years.
And say thanks for protecting me from my many fears.
Now my Jesus is setting me free and drawing me near.
So goodbye, Jesus will take it from here.
© Tennille, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment