"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge its rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant treasures." Proverbs 24:3

Home Made Fig Newtons

I had a lot of fun making these homemade Fig Newtons.  They were a lot easier than I thought they would be, but they were quite time consuming so I don't think I'll be making these very often.  In fact, I don't know if I'll ever make these again so I want this experience to be well documented : )


First of all, I got the recipe at the at the boastfulbaker.com.  Go ahead and click the link, it's worth looking at even if you don't use it.  The thing I changed about the recipe is that I used organic unrefined sugar and organic whole wheat flour.  I use these not only because they're a tad bit healthier, but also because I like the flavor and texture these ingredients produce in baked goods.  

You have to boil the figs with apple juice for a really, really long time.  It makes your house smell yummy.

Next, you blend it all up so it's the consistency of apple butter.  The boys really wanted to taste it so I put some of this mixture on toast for them to snack on.


Roll out the cookie dough just like a pie crust, then cut it into a rectangle.  Spoon the filling right down the middle.



Fold one side over...
 

then fold up the other side so it overlaps a bit.


 Finally, you cut them into little squares and bake them.  

I found that they are better when they are not so brown so don't over cook them.  As you can see I left a batch in a little too long and they weren't as yummy as the other ones.  Just like my cookies and my muffins, I stack them on their sides in the storage container.  It fits more and they don't get squished.  The boys really liked them and I felt like they were a relatively healthy treat for them.

Enjoy and have fun making your homemade Newtons!

No comments:

Post a Comment